This wiki has been established to assist users of AS 2885 in understanding the Standard. AS 2885 is the Australian Standard for Pipelines - Gas & Liquid Petroleum. It is supported by the Australian Pipelines and Gas Association (APGA) and the Future Fuels Cooperative Research Centre (FFCRC), with the agreement of Standards Australia.
If you are an Australian pipeline engineer, or other user of AS 2885, we hope find this wiki useful and interesting. If not, you won't find much of interest here; you should go and spend your time on some other website.
The initial content is being contributed by people who were involved in recent revisions of Parts 0, 1 and 6 of AS 2885. Similar information from Parts 2, 3 and 5 will soon also be included.
THE AS 2885 SUITE OF STANDARDS
- AS 2885.0 General Requirements
- AS/NZS 2885.1 Design and Construction
- AS/NZS 2885.2 Welding
- AS 2885.3 Operations and Maintenance
- AS/NZS 2885.4 Subsea
- AS/NZS 2885.5 Pressure Testing
- AS/NZS 2885.6 Pipeline Safety Management
The ME-038 Committee Portfolio also includes
- AS 3862 Fusion bond epoxy coating for steel pipe
- AS 4822 Field joint coating
Revisions to Standards - General information on the process of Standards revisions according to ME-038 Committee
General / Admin - For general Q&A about the overall AS2885 Suite:
Software - For information about software to support pipeline design, construction and operations.
General Topics - Mostly Part 0
Design Topics - Mostly Part 1
- Pipeline vs Piping
- Fracture Control
- Damage Resistance
- Pipeline Assemblies
- Critical Defect Length (CDL)
- Pipe Material - non-steel
- Transient Pressures
- Isolation Plan
- Road Crossings
- Pipeline Parallel under Road Pavements
- Trenchless Crossings (HDD)
- 0.8 Design Factor
- Acoustically or Flow Induced Vibration (AIV/FIV)
Pipeline Safety Topics - Mostly Part 6
- "SMS" vs "Risk Assessment"
- AS2885 SMS Risk Matrix
- Location Classification
- Secondary Location Classes
- Change in Location Classifications
- Threats Assessment
- Physical / Procedural Controls
- Consequence Assessments
- External Interference Protection
- Effectiveness of Controls
- One-Call Services
- High Consequence Recognition
- QRA in the AS2885 context
Minor typo errors and glitches are listed in these pages.